Sunday, January 18, 2015

Five Reasons to Get Your Walk On

This week I've been facing an injury that has side-lined me from running and my other cross-training activities of cycling, mountain biking or weight training.  I wish I could say it was a result of something fantastic and exciting, but it simply was waking up, getting out of bed, and finding myself immediately crumpled over with horrible shoulder and neck pain.  I'm 10 days in, now under chiropractic care, and slowly my body is beginning to find some healing and relief.

In the meantime, there has been no running.  Until my alignment and muscles start to cooperate, my activity has been reduced to walking and yoga stretches that I can do without pain.  Although I've been impatient and frustrated due to the injury, I must share that the walks and stretching has been rather good for me.  It has caused me to slow down, take careful note of my body and posture, and also be thankful for moving...period.

Concerned that I might lose some of my fitness if I was to lay off a couple of weeks, I've been researching the benefits of walking both in actual reading and discovery, but also anecdotally through what I've experienced during and after my walks.  In actuality, walking is extremely beneficial and, in fact, could be the best fit for people as a first option of exercise, or for others when some balance time is needed.  So, here is where I wanted to share this inspiration with all of you, with "five reasons to get your walk on."

1) Walking is the simplest activity out there.  All you need is a comfortable pair of shoes and clothes. No fancy gear or apparel is necessary, nor is there any special training needed.  It's something you already know how to do and can do it alone, with a buddy or with a group.

2) Walking provides numerous health benefits that include cardiovascular health.  According to the American Heart Association, walking just 30 minutes each day can reduce heart disease risk, lower blood pressure, lower blood sugar levels, reduce the risk of osteoporosis, breast and colon cancers, and help maintain healthy weight levels.  All of that, by getting out the door, creates a remarkable benefits list.

3) Walking can be an active form of meditation and contribute to overall mental well-being.  Choose a route that is near a park, trail or other natural setting to get the optimal benefits.  Leave the headphones and cellphones at home, and concentrate on the sound of your steps, the swinging of your arms, and your breathing.  Buddhist monks have practiced meditative walking for centuries and the benefits of the mindfulness of your surroundings lead to both a relaxed state and reduce stress. Isn't that something we all could use?

4)  And speaking of mental well-being, walking is known not only to clear your mind, but certainly boost your mood.  Studies have shown that walking, and the endorphins released in the bloodstream while doing so, can be as effective as certain antidepressants in cases of mild to moderate depression. Who wouldn't rather take a walk and experience these benefits rather than have to take a pill?  It's certainly worth a try to boost your mood and feel better.

5) Walking can easily become a social event and a great way to connect with people in the community.  Just by being outdoors and in the neighborhood, or on the trails with hikers, there is a camaraderie with passersby and others sharing in your activity.  There are also numerous gadgets out there now, such as the Fitbit, Garmin or other pedometer-like technologies that have a social media aspect to them.  By joining an online group or "friending" others with similar devices, it is easy to share your activity, progress and support one another.  And, lastly, there are numerous walks and events held throughout the year in every community that benefit wonderful charitable organizations and causes.  By participating in these events, you not only connect with others in your community, but it's an easy and meaningful way to support causes important to you.

After experiencing may of these benefits myself, I've consciously decided to incorporate more walking into my exercise routine.  I hope it inspires you to do the same and "get your walk on."  

No comments:

Post a Comment